A Delicious, Rich, Summery Treat
I love to make this Danish dessert whenever we have guests come to dinner because it is different from anything they have ever had. We always make a game of having them guess the main ingredient, and they can never figure it out. It’s simple to make and so delightful — rich, and yet light.
The secret ingredient is buttermilk! Kærnmælk, in Danish.
So here is it is: kærnemælkfromage, Buttermilk Dessert
- 1 TBSP unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3/4 to 1 cup sugar (depends on how sweet you like your desserts)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup cream, whipped until stiff
- Dissolve the gelatin in the cold water in a 2-quart saucepan, and then put on the stove over low heat.
- Stir constantly until disolved (which will take less than a minute), then add the sugar and stir until dissolved
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla, orange juice, and buttermilk; stir to blend well
- Place the saucepan in the refrigerator to cool and gel
- Check in about 30 minutes. When the mixture starts to firm, whip the cream
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the whipped cream, and blend with a wire whisk until smooth
- Pour into a bowl and refrigerate until firm, about an hour
- Serve with Danish Strawberry Pudding (Jordbær Grød — the recipe can be found here). It’s also wonderful with fresh berries
Try this amazing dessert!