Once in a while an old-fashioned dish like stroganoff is what you need to feel satisfied! I started making this dish back in college when money was tight, and it has remained a family favorite. This recipe makes 4-6 servings.
You Will Need:
- 1 lb organic ground beef–I love our Eel River Extra Lean Grass Fed Beef!
- 1/2 cup organic chopped white or spanish onion
- 6 oz organic mushrooms. I used the white mushrooms, but other varieties work just as well
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 qt organic beef cooking stock, divided
- 2 tsp Better than Bouillon Beef Base (If you haven’t tried this, you are missing something delicious for your flavorings!)
- 1/3 cup organic unbleached flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 lb organic ribbon pasta
Bring 2 qts of salted water to a boil.
Meanwhile, start browning the organic lean ground beef, breaking it up, and chop the onion.
Add the onion to the ground beef and stir regularly. When browned, if you did not use lean ground beef you will want to skim the fat off of the meat. Turn the heat to low and add 3 cups of beef stock and the beef base.
If the water has come to a boil, add the ribbon noodles and stir. Keep your eye on them so they don’t boil over or overcook.
Wash and slice the mushrooms.
Melt the butter in another pan and sauté the mushrooms until golden, then remove from the heat.
Put the remaining beef stock in a shaker cup, add the flour, and shake until well blended.
Pour the flour/stock mixture through a sieve into the meat mixture, and stir well. (The sieve is the key to a gravy without lumps!) Turn the heat up to medium. It should thicken fairly quickly. Add the mushrooms and stir.
I like to taste the gravy at this point to see if I need to adjust the seasonings. I usually don’t add more salt, but we like a little pepper added.
Add the sour cream and stir to blend. Ready to serve over the drained, hot noodles!
I served the stroganoff with simple wedged tomatoes and stir-fried zucchini. Love the colors!
Enjoy the bounties of the summer, including delicious beef!