A-Meen-O-Mum (I Want a Plum!)
That’s what one of my toddlers said when he wanted to have a plum. Plums have long been a favorite at our house. I like the varieties with tart skins and sweet flesh the most. Peter likes the black plums best. But whatever the variety, when they are in season I always have some in my shopping cart.
Recently I was looking for something easy to do with the bag of glorious organic plums that I’d brought home from Lassen’s, and found this recipe. I made them, with my own changes, for dinner last night, as an accompaniment to baked chicken and roasted red potatoes (along with this recipe for kale and quinoa salad). They got rave reviews!
- 4 organic plums, halved and pitted. I used the red variety, but the recipe will work with any.
- 1/3 cup organic orange juice — can use freshly squeezed
- 1 1/2 TSP packed organic brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp organic ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp organic ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp organic ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp organic ground cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and spray a shallow baking dish with cooking spray
- Cut and pit the plums and then place them, cut side up, in the baking dish
- Mix together the orange juice, the brown sugar and the spices until blended.
- Pour the mixture over the plums.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. The plums will be hot and the sauce bubbly.
- Serve warm!
Best Additional Use For This Recipe:
Syrup for Ice Cream.
Yes. The spiced plum syrup that was bubbling in the pan was SO delicious that we cracked open the vanilla ice cream and spooned some of the syrup on top.
It. Was. Fab.
I will definitely make this recipe many many times! It would be great made with pluots, peaches, cherries, or apricots! Or a blend of fruits–yum!
Enjoy the rest of the stone fruit season!
2 thoughts on “Gorgeous Plums–You Can Do More Than Just Eat Them Plain!”
I think there were more than 4 plums needed for this recipe?
I actually made a triple batch because I was serving them for dinner for a crowd–hence the pictures with many more than 8 halves. But the amounts are correct in the recipe. I hope you enjoy making and eating these! They were amazing!