This Cabbage Packs a Punch!
I’m always on the prowl for tasty side dishes, and it always makes me happy when they can double as main dishes, too. Here’s a cabbage recipe with cashews that can do that trick!
And FYI, did you know that curry powder is actually a blend of several spices? It gets its bright yellow color from turmeric, a relative of ginger, which has been used for many years as a herbal remedy for stomach, liver, and skin ailments. It also typically includes cumin, coriander (which is the seed of cilantro), fenugreek, and chili peppers. There are lots of varieties, so experiment with various brands to see which ones you like the best! I added additional turmeric in this recipe, which helps the dish keep a wonderful golden hue!
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 TBSP raw organic cashews
- 1/3 cup minced fresh organic ginger
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 organic green cabbage, thinly sliced or chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil to medium in a heavy skillet, and then add the cashews, ginger, and curry powder
- Gently heat and stir until the cashews begin to get toasty and the ginger fragrant
- Add the cabbage and turmeric
- Stir and cook until limp and tender
- Season with the salt and pepper to taste. You can add more curry powder for more punch
- Serve immediately