Heart-heathy and Anti-oxidant Rich!
Written by Gayle
Beets are one of those root vegetables that are absolutely packed with nutrition. Low in calories, fat, and zero cholesterol. B-3, B-5, B-6, iron, manganese, iron, copper, magnesium, potassium–all argue for including beets in your healthy lifestyle. They have a terrific smooth taste on their own, but added to salads with the snappy contrast with vinegars and cheeses they are just plain delectable! This beet salad is so easy to whip up!
- 10 small organic beets
- 1 lb fresh organic spinach
- 5 oz organic arugula
- 1/2 cup organic raw walnuts
- 4 oz goat cheese chèvre, crumbled
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp organic Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp organic raw honey
- 1 organic garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- On a baking sheet, make a pouch with foil and place washed beets in the center. Seal tightly and bake for 40 minutes
- Remove from the oven and let sit in pouch for an additional 10 minutes, then open pouch and cool.
- When beets can be handled, discard skins and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Whisk together all ingredients for the dressing, saving the oil for last.
- Toss together the spinach and arugula with the dressing, and then top with beets, crumbled cheese and walnuts
A beet salad is a great way to increase your heart health!