Paleo, Gluten-free and Delicious!
Written by Gayle
Lots of people are cutting back on grains and boosting their nuts and seeds. Whether you are sensitive to gluten, eating Paleo, or just want a change of pace, this no-grain granola is a real treat. It comes from my daughter-in-law Denae, and goes great with Elli Quark (click here for Preya’s story about this nutritious yogurt-like cheese!) It’s a great snack, too!
- 2 cups organic unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup raw organic nuts–I used almonds and cashews, but any combination that you like works!
- 1/4 cup raw organic sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup raw organic pumpkin seeds
- 2 TBSP flaxseed
- 1/4 cup organic coconut oil
- 1/4-1/3 cup organic agave nectar or honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup dried fruit–I used blueberries, but raisins, currants, chopped apricots, pineapple, papaya or cranberries would be delicious, too!
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees
- Chop the nuts in a food processor (just a few pulses) or with a sharp knife
- Heat the coconut oil, agave nectar, and vanilla in a medium sized metal bowl, or in the microwave (30-45 seconds), until melted
- Add the nuts, seeds, and coconut
- Spread the mixture evenly onto a large baking sheet, lined with parchment paper (or sprayed with non-stick spray)
- Bake for about 40 minutes until lightly browned. Stir 2 or three times during baking.
- Remove from the oven, and add the dried fruit and sprinkle with sea salt. Stir to mix it all in.
- Allow to cool about 20 minutes, then break apart, and store in the refrigerator.
This recipe would be a great addition to a Brunch Buffet with yogurts and fresh fruit! (Mother’s Day is coming up!)
Enjoy this toasted goodness–