You’re Gonna Love These Muffins!
Written by Gayle
This is the photograph that greeted us as we checked out our Thanksgiving Recipe Challenge Entries. This one, we had to try!
Cream Cheese Pumpkin Muffins
Makes 20-24 muffins
Recipe by Jolie Brouttier (entered on the Bakersfield Store Facebook page)
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 oz cream cheese, or dairy free cream cheese (such as Tofutti Cream Cheese) for vegan or vegetarian
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Soften the cream cheese to room temperature, and then mix with the powdered sugar
- Spread out the mixture in a log-like shape on parchment or waxed paper
- Place in the freezer and chill until able to cut. I put it in the freezer for about 15 minutes, and then rolled it a little so that it was more of a log shape. Return it to the freezer to continue chilling
- 1 1/2 cup flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup canned organic pumpkin
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/8 cup applesauce
- 2 eggs, or egg substitute (for vegan)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp all spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Mix all of the batter ingredients together
- Fill muffin tins (greased or paper cups) half full
- Take the cream cheese log out of the freezer and cut a 1-2 tsp piece for each muffin
- Press a piece of cream cheese into the middle of each muffin
|These paper muffin cups are available at Lassen’s!|
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the muffin part comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then remove to racks and cool completely
|It looks like I could have used more cream cheese and pushed it down more–next time!|
- Do not touch the cream cheese until the muffins are cool.
These were super-moist and delicious. Saving these for breakfast tomorrow!
Thanks Jolie, for the recipe, and congratulations on being our #1 Recipe Challenge Winner!