This Is Amazing!
I love chèvre (the french word for goat cheese) and use it in salads, dressings, on pizza, crumbled with beets (see this recipe for our beet and goat cheese salad), scrambled with eggs… Well, you get the idea. I love to spread it on crackers, too, but it’s usually kind of crumbly. Rejoice gourmands everywhere! Lassen’s now has Laura Chenel’s Chef’s Chévre! (that’s a mouthful!) It has been used by chefs, caterers, and in restaurants for twenty years, and highly prized for its moisture and texture.
- Crackers. I love the various crisps, since they have some substance to them and don’t get soggy.
- Fruit. I used mango, pear, grapes, apples, dried cranberries, and raspberries. Figs are great, as are peaches or nectarines. Use what is in season!
- Vegetables. I sliced some little cherry tomatoes slivered an avocado, and used some sunflower sprouts, too.
- Fruit preserves. I had quince and fig, but again, use your imagination. There are some sweet/hot combinations available that will pop your eyeballs!
- Crévre cheese. I used the awesome Laura Chenel’s Chef’s Chévre.
- Herbs and spices. I had basil, but dill, marjoram, sage, thyme would all be great too.
- Prosciutto, bacon, ham, or other meat.
- Nuts add a great variety to the mix as well. Pecans are a given for me!
- Balsamic vinegar reduction. This recipe for Organic Grilled Peaches with Balsamic Reduction and Mint includes directions to make the Balsamic Reduction.
You can just put it all on a platter and let people use make their own combinations, or you can assemble ahead (use the thicker crackers to avoid the soggies.) Start with the crackers, spread the chévre, layer a combination of two or three of the toppings, and then drizzle with a little balsamic reduction, if desired.
|These “crackers” are actually dried orange slices! They are amazing!|
|Fig preserves. Need I say more?|
|Prosciutto, mango, balsamic reduction. To. Die. For.|
I also made a chévre blend for another taste sensation! I used:
- 1/2 cup Laura Chenel’s Chef’s Chévre
- 1/4 cup sour cream (if you want it thicker, you can use cream cheese)
- 1 TBSP chopped fresh organic basil
This is an amazing appetizer party plate! So when you don’t know what to bring to that bring-a-dish party, remember your chévre!