This recipe was shared with us by Carrie, a lovely customer from our Lassens store in Thousand Oaks. Not only was this recipe so absolutely mouth watering, but it is SO easy to make!
Organic Pumpkin Cheesecake Squares
- 1 cup flour (try Arrowhead Mills organic flour or do what I did and add ½ cup regular flour and ½ cup, you guessed it, Bob’s Red Mill coconut flour, which adds a new dimension of soft texture and heavenly aroma )
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (I used Wholesome Sweeteners organic dark brown sugar)
- 1 stick butter (try Organic Valley unsalted cultured butter OR for a reduced fat option, 6 tablespoons of applesauce with 2 tablespoons Earth Balance natural buttery spread, which incidentally has come to permanently replace butter in my kitchen)
- 1/2 cup raw chopped walnuts (Lassen’s has great deals on delicious bulk nuts)
- 8 oz. cream cheese (Organic Valley cream cheese is organic and delectable)
- 1/2 cup sugar (I used Wholesome Sweeteners organic sugar)
- 2 eggs (try Organic Valley organic cage-free eggs)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (try Farmers Market Organic canned pumpkin or puree one of our organic pumpkin pie pumpkins yourself!)
- 1 tsp vanilla (try Simply Organics pure vanilla extract)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (try Frontier organic nutmeg)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (try Frontier organic cinnamon)
- 1/2 tsp ginger (try Spice Hunter organic ginger… or if you’re cabinet space it getting limited, Spice Hunter’s pumpkin pie spice blend makes as a great all-in-one option and it’s great to go in just about anything that you want to make festive: from coffee to ice cream)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the crust, blend ingredients in food processor until a ball forms. It’s really tempting to go to town on that ball of dough before you get a chance to make the cheesecake portion, but if you have the determination and restraint, I suggest you hold out because the more crust on this desert, the more scrumptious.
- Press ball into 8×8 pan
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes. Let crust cool.
- Blend filling ingredients until smooth. Pour mixture over cooled crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until set. Let cool and cut into squares and enjoy!
CREAM CHEESE with a dairy free cream cheese such as Follow Your Heart’s vegan cream cheese
EGGS with flax or chia seed gel which can be made by adding 1Tb ground seed to 3Tb hot water. This = 1 large egg
BUTTER as I mentioned before with applesauce and Earth Balance natural buttery spread. We also have several other delicious vegan butter alternatives including Earth Balance coconut oil buttery spread (which I can’t wait to try!)
Present this dish in lovely bite sized squares to your guests this Halloween and watch how, like magic, they disappear!