Written by Gayle
Fruit and Grain Salad
- 1/2 cup cooked and cooled farro
- 1/2 cup cooked and cooled pearled barley
- 6 cups of cut organic fruit. I used melons, grapes, peaches, kiwi, and berries
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 TBSP organic agave nectar (or to taste)
- 1 TBSP fresh organic lemon juice
- Cook barley and farro according to package directions. (1/4 cup grain with 3/4 cup water, bring to a boil and then simmer until tender–about 30-40 minutes) Cool. This makes about double what you will need for the recipe. (You can toss the rest of the grain into a spinach or mixed green salad, too!)
- Meanwhile, cut up fruit and toss.
- When the grains are cool, add them to the fruit and mix gently.
- Mix the yogurt with the vinegar, agave nectar, and lemon juice.
- Gently fold the yogurt dressing into the fruit.
- Serve immediately or chill until serving
This recipe turns fruit a complete meal. The grains add protein and staying power to your breakfast or lunch. It’s great as a side dish, too!