Healthy, Quick, Vegetarian, Vegan, and Delicious!
Written by Gayle
I always love quick, new, and easy recipes, especially when the weather gets hot and dry and being in the kitchen just does not sound appealing! This recipe comes from my daughter-in-law, Marci, who is a genius in the kitchen (and at restaurants–order what she orders and you’ll always be happy!)
This Quinoa and Black Bean recipe works as a main dish or side dish. It’s also vegetarian, too! Quinoa is a wonderful addition to healthy eating! See this post
for more info on quinoa and for a great Kale-Quinoa salad recipe!
Quinoa with Black Beans
- 2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium organic onion, diced
- 1 cloves organic garlic, minced
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 1 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh organic corn (cut kernels from the cob)
- 1/2-1can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed
- 2 TBSP fresh organic lime juice (I used the juice of 2 limes)
- 1/4 cup chopped organic cilantro
- 2 organic avocados, sliced
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the onion, garlic, and quinoa
- Cook and stir until the onion is soft and the quinoa is lightly toasted
- Add the broth, cumin, cayenne, and salt. Stir.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the corn and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the broth is evaporated and the corn is tender.
- Stir in the black beans and the lime juice.
- Remove from heat and add the cilantro.
- Serve with the sliced avocados. I also like to serve cut tomatoes with this recipe.
I think you’ll really like this easy and light, yet healthy and filling recipe!